Monday, March 8, 2010

HCG #2: Week Five

Here we are at the end of our 5th week of the hCG diet.  We have just one week left, although Sarah and I are planning to continue for an additional 5 days, finishing up just in time to enjoy Spring Break.  Anything to try and get off a few last pesky pounds!

Jacob says he'll quit next weekend, at the end of the 40 days.  We'll see whether or not he changes his mind by then.

This week definitely went better for me.  Nothing exciting, but better. 

I hope this means my plateau has ended and I can lose consistently for the next 8 to 11 days.  Remember that you continue the 500-calorie diet for 3 days after completing the hCG drops.  Apparently most people stop losing weight after they stop taking the drops, despite the low-cal diet.  (Although that wasn't true for me last time; I went on to lose 2.2 lbs more during those final 3 days.)

I'm pleased to report that I've lost 3.2 lbs this week, for a total loss of 61 lbs!  And feeling pretty darn good about it!

I did a few things differently this week, but I have no way of knowing whether that contributed to having a better loss this week. 

First, I quit eating a daily apple.  I still eat an orange as a midmorning snack, but I've switched to strawberries for my evening snack.  Much lower in calories, plus I'm burnt out on apples, which have never been a favorite. 



Since strawberries are still ridiculously expensive (out of season), I buy frozen whole strawberries with no sugar added.  I split a 16-oz bag into 3 servings, then sprinkle on some Splenda and heat it in the microwave.  Mmmmm...

Second, on most days I cut out one or both servings of Melba toast.  It pretty much tastes like cardboard to me anyway.  (Now, if I could smear on some garlic butter or spinach dip...)  However, on particularly long days I still eat both servings.

Finally, I was browsing some hCG websites and found one that claimed their clients seemed to fare better if they split their dose of hCG into 6 doses: 6 drops under the tongue 6 times per day.  I believe they said that equated to 1.2 cc (or mL) of hCG per day, which is the amount I was taking with my thrice a day doses.  It made sense to me that it might help to keep the hormone in your system more often throughout the day, so I've been trying it for the past 10 days or so.

Since I did not approach these changes in anything remotely resembling a scientific method, I can't say for sure whether any or all of them made a difference, or whether my plateau simply came to an end.  However, I mention them as possible things to try if any of you hCG dieters get stuck and want some ideas to possibly get the weight loss moving again.

I might add that I cheated last week for the very first time.  Could that have helped?  I don't know, but sometimes I wonder if I have to convince my body or mind that it's not being deprived before it will let go of the fat.  It wasn't a huge cheat, but I did "lick" the bowl (scraping it clean with a spoon) after making chocolate pudding mixed with crumbled Oreos and Cool Whip for a children's activity.  I did it twice, and I still lost weight on both mornings after!  So, who knows?

Sarah and Jacob had a tougher time this week.  Jacob only lost 0.2 lb for a total loss of 29.2 lbs.  Of course, he's lost so much weight so quickly, I think his body is just taking a breather to adjust to the new weight.  I told him it's probably a good thing at this point.

Last week we were so hopeful that Sarah's plateau had ended, but apparently not.  Sarah didn't lose at all this week, but she is totally maintaining her 45 lb. loss.  I think I'll suggest she try the 6 drops 6 times daily and see if it really does make a difference.  Please think good thoughts for her!  I know she's very frustrated.

We didn't come up with any new recipes to share this week.  We're getting so close to the end of this cycle that, when we think about food, our minds begin drifting toward visions of the lovely variety of flavors we'll be allowed to enjoy during maintenance!

This cycle has been much tougher than the first one Sarah and I did.  Even so, when I think of how much better I feel about myself and the fun of trying on new clothes that both fit and look nice, I must say it has been TOTALLY worth the effort!

2 comments:

cody and bridgette blake

Hi Mary! You look fabulous. It sounds like the diet is going great. I'm glad you found something that works. My second round was harder than the first. I just finished my 3rd round 3 weeks ago and it was the hardest yet. The food didn't taste good and I really had to work hard to be good and keep focused mentally. I'm down 50 lbs total so it was worth it, but I think each round gets harder. It maybe because I'm closer to my goal weight so I don't feel so desperate to loose? Or maybe after 9 months of dieting or maintaining it just gets a little old. :) I'm so happy that you, Sarah and Jacob are doing so well. Hope to see you back in the ward in a couple of months. :)

Andy & Lynnette

Hi Mary, After reading over your blog I noticed that you are able to get HCG for $25 a bottle. I am really wanting to get started on this protocal. Can I get HCG through you, or where would I need to go or contact to pick some up.. You look wonderful, and I could not be happier for you. I am excited and very anxious to get started as soon as possible.. Let me know.. Thanks Lynnette. my e-mail is lkish@frontiernet.net if you could send me the information I would be so grateful. Thanks..